A man has been found dead at Charlton Athletic’s home ground, The Valley, with police confirming the incident occurred in the early hours of Monday morning and appealing for witnesses, while the club has been forced to relocate an upcoming fixture as a result of the ongoing investigation.
A man has been found dead at Charlton Athletic’s stadium, The Valley, prompting police to launch an investigation. Officers said the incident occurred in the early hours of Monday morning, though they attended the ground on Tuesday after it was reported to them, and the man was pronounced dead at the scene. The death is currently being treated as under investigation, with the cause not yet publicly established. Charlton Athletic said in a statement that the club “would like to express their deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences to the individual’s family, friends and loved ones at this incredibly difficult time.”
What is known so far
The Valley is Charlton Athletic’s home ground, located on Floyd Road in Charlton, south-east London. Police have not publicly disclosed the identity, age or the specific circumstances surrounding the man’s death, and the investigation remains at an early stage, with officers yet to determine publicly whether the death was accidental, natural or suspicious. No arrests have been reported in connection with the case at the time of the latest updates.
There is currently no indication from either police or the club that the death was connected to a football match, or that it involved a player or any member of Charlton’s playing staff.
Police appeal for witnesses
Police have issued an appeal for anyone who witnessed the incident, or who has any information that could assist the investigation, to come forward. Anyone with relevant information is asked to contact police on 101, quoting reference number 2809/18AUG.
Impact on the club’s fixtures
The investigation has already had a direct effect on Charlton’s football operations. The club’s Under-21 fixture against Bolton Wanderers has been relocated away from The Valley to Charlton’s training ground at Sparrows Lane, a change made specifically because of the ongoing police investigation at the stadium.
Charlton Athletic has confirmed it is co-operating fully with police and assisting officers with their enquiries. The club has also asked members of the public to respect the privacy of those affected while the investigation continues.
