The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly planning to move their family back to Britain later this month, with Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet set to begin at a British school in September, marking the couple’s most significant step yet toward spending substantially more time in the UK since stepping down as senior royals in 2020.
Harry and Meghan are understood to be planning a move back to the UK, with the couple expected to leave the US later this month and settle into a private, non-royal residence close to London. Their children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are reportedly set to start at a British school in September. The King was informed of the couple’s plans on Sunday and is said to welcome the chance to see more of the family in a personal capacity, though there will be no change to Harry and Meghan’s status as private individuals, and they are not being offered any “half-in-half-out” arrangement regarding royal duties.
An extended stay, not a permanent return
The move is being characterised as an extended period living in Britain, rather than a full abandonment of the couple’s overseas homes. The Sussexes are expected to retain their properties in California and Portugal, and the family’s new UK base is understood to be a private property outside London, rather than a royal residence. Its exact location has not been publicly disclosed. Similarly, the school Archie and Lilibet will attend has not been identified, with the location kept confidential for security reasons.
The move would mark the first time either child has been educated in Britain. Both have previously attended school near the family’s home in Montecito, California.
No return to royal duties
Despite the relocation, current reports indicate there are no plans for either Harry or Meghan to resume the role of working royals. The couple stepped down as senior members of the Royal Family in January 2020, a move that allowed them to pursue lucrative media deals in the years since, but has also contributed to sustained tension within the House of Windsor.
Those tensions deepened significantly after Harry published a memoir containing unflattering depictions of the Royal Family and allegations of a troubled relationship between the monarchy and the press. Friction has also stemmed from Harry’s legal battles in the UK; last month, he lost his final lawsuit after a judge ruled he had failed to prove privacy invasion claims against the publisher of the Daily Mail.
A thawing relationship with the King
The planned move follows a private family reunion between Harry, Meghan, their children and King Charles III at Highgrove in July, the King’s first meeting with Archie and Lilibet since 2022. Buckingham Palace described the Highgrove gathering as a private family occasion rather than an official royal engagement. According to reports, representatives for both sides held discussions ahead of the meeting, suggesting Harry’s relationship with his father has improved significantly over the past year.
Harry has previously said he wants to reconcile with his father, who is 77 and being treated for an undisclosed form of cancer. His relationship with his brother, the Prince of Wales, remains considerably more strained, and the reported UK move does not currently signal any comparable reconciliation with Prince William.
Charitable work and existing commitments
While the move does not involve a return to official royal duties, it opens up the possibility of greater involvement in UK-based charitable work, particularly for Harry. He is expected to continue supporting organisations including WellChild, alongside his ongoing work with the Invictus Games. Harry is already scheduled to return to Britain in September for engagements linked to his charitable patronages, including events marking the countdown to the 2027 Invictus Games in Birmingham.
Security concerns remain a factor
Harry’s long-running legal dispute over his UK security arrangements continues to be an important backdrop to the planned move. He has previously argued that he requires greater protection when bringing his family to Britain, and earlier this summer, the Sussexes altered their UK travel plans over security concerns, with Meghan and the children initially not travelling to London as originally planned.
The family’s more recent visit to Highgrove took place after those earlier security difficulties, meaning the latest reported move represents a notable shift in the couple’s apparent willingness to spend considerably more time in the UK.
Business interests to continue
Meghan’s business ventures are expected to carry on largely unaffected by the relocation. Her lifestyle brand, As Ever, remains primarily focused on the US market, and the family is expected to maintain its property interests overseas throughout the move.
The decision represents a significant shift from the strategy the couple adopted after initially relocating to California in 2020, when they built their family life predominantly around the US, with Harry returning to Britain periodically for legal, charitable and family matters in the years since.
