Tens of thousands of UK nurses yet to get very first dose of Covid

Tens of thousands of UK nurses yet to receive very first dose of Covid vaccine

Tens of countless nurses across the UK have not had their very first coronavirus vaccine, triggering fears that they might contract Covid-19 or infect clients.

A Royal College of Nursing (RCN) study of 24,370 nurses found that 85% had had at least one dosage, with the remaining 15% unvaccinated.

The findings show that the government remains in threat of stopping working to deliver one of the main aspects of its promise that all 15 million Britons in the top 4 priority groups for immunisation– that includes all health and social care personnel– ought to have been offered a first shot by next Monday, 15 February.

” It is incredibly worrying that, as our study recommends, lots of countless nursing personnel have yet to be given their Covid-19 vaccine less than a week before the federal government’s deadline,” stated Dame Donna Kinnair, the RCN’s president and basic secretary.

” With only days to go, every effort should be made to reach all nursing personnel to guarantee their defense which of the patients and vulnerable individuals they care for.”

NHS staff on Covid frontline: ‘There’s no let-up, it’s just constant’

Find out more

The RCN stated scaling that 15% approximately its 450,000-strong membership recommended an approximated 75,000 nurses had still not had their initial jab.

The college stated it was crucial that all nurses had a Covid vaccine so that they, their households and clients were secured, including that any nurse left unvaccinated was “a threat to themselves and those they care for”.

While 91% of nurses straight employed by the NHS have actually had at least one jab, just 71% working for other organisations– such as district nurses, health visitors or those in care homes– have gotten theirs.

In general, 20,719 (85%) of those surveyed had actually gotten the very first of the 2 doses of either the Pfizer/BioNTech or Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine. 7 in 10 of those who had not yet had a vaccine worked in non-NHS settings.

While only 6% of nurses who work directly for the health service have actually not been provided a vaccine, much higher percentages of nurses who work through an employment service (35%) or as short-term staff (19%) have actually still not been invited for a consultation.

A minority of nurses do not wish to have a Covid vaccine. The RCN asked the 1,624 nurses who had not taken up an offer of a jab why they had actually refused. Of those, 38% said they did not wish to have the vaccine at the moment or were uncertain, and 12% did not wish to have a vaccine at all. A third (33%), nevertheless, had actually an appointment reserved and planned to attend.

Overall, 902 respondents (4%) stated they had decided not to have a vaccine or been advised against doing so. The most typical reasons they mentioned were: worry that the vaccine was unsafe or had actually not been evaluated enough; fears about side-effects; and belief that it might not prove efficient in the long term versus all pressures of Covid-19.

Chris Hopson, the president of NHS Service providers, which represents health service trusts in England, said: “It is encouraging to see high levels of NHS staff uptake on the very first dosage of a Covid-19 vaccine, as suggested by this study.

” It is truly essential that as numerous personnel as possible seize the day to get immunized to help safeguard colleagues and clients. Trusts are making collective efforts to make sure protection is as comprehensive as possible.”

The Department of Health and Social Care stated it was following the joint committee on vaccination and immunisation’s suggestions and would have provided everyone in the leading 4 top priority groups a vaccine by next week.

A spokesperson stated: “This consists of momentary, firm and voluntary employees who are at an increased risk of contracting or sending the infection to other individuals especially susceptible to Covid-19, as well as to other staff in a healthcare environment.

” The NHS is operating at pace to vaccinate these groups and we are on track to offer a vaccination to everyone in these first four priority groups by mid-February.”

Please follow and like us:

Check Also

BAME Britons most likely to deal with higher living costs, study finds

Britons from black and ethnic minority backgrounds are amongst numerous groups dealing with disproportionately high …

RSS
LinkedIn
Share