Shia LaBeouf has been arrested in New Orleans on Fat Tuesday facing two charges of simple battery, days after staff at multiple bars described the actor as “terrorizing the city” during an extended drinking spree through the city’s Uptown neighbourhood.
Court records confirm the 39-year-old actor was arrested on 17 February, with details surrounding the specific circumstances of the battery charges yet to be disclosed. The arrest came as New Orleans celebrated Mardi Gras.
The arrest followed a three-day bar crawl from Thursday to Sunday that had already made LaBeouf the talk of the city. Staff at several venues described increasingly erratic behaviour as the actor hopped between establishments, with his antics quickly escalating beyond standard Mardi Gras revelry.
Doorman Robert Skuse, who works at open-24/7 bar Ms Mae’s, told the Hollywood Reporter that LaBeouf arrived in an “inebriated” state and was “somewhat belligerent.” Skuse claimed the actor asked stunned customers: “Do you know who I am?” before posing for group photos when recognised.
The doorman alleged LaBeouf subsequently removed his shirt before being told to put it back on. Staff eventually asked the actor to leave after he attempted to “be a celebrity bartender” and repeatedly asked to pay by credit card despite the bar being cash only.
One bartender described the actor’s behaviour bluntly: “He is terrorizing the city.”
Earlier in the weekend, LaBeouf visited a live jazz club on Thursday where witnesses said he was “louder than everyone and was giving acting instructions to a girl at the bar.” He was also spotted at the Bacchus parade on Sunday and had been stopping to pose for photos with fans throughout the height of the Carnival season.
The Transformers actor has previously professed to be sober and attributed past abusive behaviour towards former girlfriend FKA Twigs to his alcoholism. LaBeouf is currently married to Frankenstein actress and London model Mia Goth.
The circumstances surrounding the specific battery incidents that led to Monday’s arrest remain unknown. Court proceedings will determine the outcome of the two simple battery charges as New Orleans authorities continue processing Mardi Gras-related arrests. Further details are expected as the case progresses through the Louisiana court system.
