“This cake is based on a recipe prepared by my buddy Alex from 26 Grains,” describes food author Anna Jones “For days after consuming this cake, I could think about really little else.
” This is my variation. It makes a large loaf and is quite abundant, so you’ll get a lot of pieces out of it.”
Honey, almond and cardamom drizzle cake recipe
Makes one loaf
For the cake
200g light spelt or plain flour
150g ground almonds
2tsp baking powder
250g saltless butter, softened, plus additional for greasing
200g demerara sugar
150ml honey or maple syrup
Zest of an unwaxed orange
Zest of an unwaxed lemon
4 medium natural eggs
For the drizzle
4 cardamom pods
4tbsp honey or maple syrup
1tsp orange blossom water
2tsp toasted sesame seeds
1tsp fennel seeds
1tsp coriander seeds
A great drizzle of honey or maple syrup
Plain yoghurt of your option
1. Heat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3.
2. Grease a 900g loaf tin and line with baking paper. Put the flour, almonds, baking powder and a good pinch of sea salt into a large mixing bowl and blend up until there are no swellings of baking powder. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle accessory, or with an electrical hand whisk, beat the butter, sugar and honey till velvety and combined.
3. Add both orange and lemon enthusiasms, then the eggs one by one, mixing well between additions.
4. Add the dry components a big spoonful at a time, again mixing between additions. Idea the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth out the top with the back of a spoon. Bake for 55 minutes to one hour, up until the cake is dark golden on top. It will sink a little in the middle.
5. Take the cake out of the oven and leave in the tin. Bash the cardamom pods in a pestle and mortar to launch the seeds, then put the seeds into a small saucepan with all the remaining drizzle components. Give a simmer and minimize to a thin syrup– it will thicken a bit more as it cools.
6. Puncture the cake a couple of times with a skewer and pour over the syrup, then leave the cake in the tin up until cooled entirely. Serve in thick slices, with yoghurt combined with honey.